Spring is the season of renewal. It also seems to be the beginning of the homebuying season. However, with interest rates as high as they are right now, many are rethinking their plans. So what better way to spend time and money than to invest in your backyard this spring? Investing in your backyard not only enhances your home’s value but also improves your quality of life.
We’ve got some great ideas on backyard investments as well as some of the trends we’re seeing in 2023. However, let’s start with how you can spruce up your backyard before making big changes.
Cleaning Up After Winter
The winter months can leave behind a lot of debris such as fallen branches, leaves, and dead grass. This debris can prevent new growth and inhibit the healthy development of your plants. By clearing it away, you can ensure that your yard is ready for new growth and that your plants have the space and resources they need to thrive.
Here are a few more ways to prep before projects:
- Trim trees and shrubs. This will help promote new growth and healthy plants. Be sure to use clean, sharp pruning shears to avoid damaging the plants.
- Aerate and fertilize your lawn. Aerating your lawn helps to promote healthy root growth and allows water and nutrients to penetrate the soil. After aerating, apply a high-quality fertilizer to help promote new growth.
- Plant new flowers and shrubs. Choose plants that are native to your area, as they will be better adapted to the local climate and soil conditions. You can also add color to your yard by planting annuals and perennials.
- Clean and repair outdoor furniture. Remove any dirt and debris, and repair any damage that may have occurred over the winter months. If you’re in need of any upholstery repair or reupholstering, we can help you with that!
Outdoor Trends for 2023
Why should you care about backyard trends? A well-maintained and trendy backyard can be a significant selling point if you decide to sell your home in the future. Another reason is many backyard trends focus on sustainable and environmentally friendly practices. Bobvila.com recently published a blog about trends you should incorporate in 2023:
- Indoor-outdoor merge. The idea here is to open up your home to the patio through folding glass doors or a partially covered patio/garden.
- Natural stone pathways. Natural stone is sustainable. It’s low maintenance and adds interest by breaking up solid lawn.
- Color and texture. When doing stonework, choose warmer tones like browns and tans instead of just gray.
- Terra Cotta. This reddish-brown color is huge for backyard design in 2023.
- Upscale Relaxation. This trend involves high-quality furniture, outdoor rugs, pizza ovens, water features, elaborate firepits, covered outdoor kitchens, and more.
If you are looking to upgrade your backyard, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve got so many options that enhance the look, function, and value of your outdoor space. You can also incorporate some of the trends above with our products.
Want to jump on the trend of adding color? Our retractable awnings are made from Sunbrella fabrics and come in various colors as well as solids and stripes. You can also create a space for your upscale relaxation with these awnings. They can cover a large area like your whole patio or a smaller area just over the barbecue.
Another way to create upscale relaxation is with Verticool Drop Shades. They not only come in a motorized or manual option, but you can also get rope-operated shades. These drop shades provide between 70-97% of UV rays. This keeps you cooler as well as saves money on your home’s energy bill.
You can create an indoor-outdoor merge with pretty much any of our awnings. In addition to retractable awnings, pipe frame awnings will extend your indoor-outdoor space seamlessly. These awnings are attached to your home with special brackets and the posts are made from galvanized steel. They also come in various colors.
These are just a few of our products that can increase the value of your home. When you’re ready to invest, give us a call at 801-563-9600 to get started.
SugarHouse Ind. has served its clients in the Intermountain West since 1941. In that time, we have become Utah’s largest provider of awning, boat tops, and specialty canvas covers. After over 80 years, our focus is still to provide customers with the highest quality products and the best prices. We remain a family-owned company, and we remain committed to putting a personal touch into everything we do. That’s why we make every product that we offer in our 30,000 ft2 facility in Midvale, Utah.